Monday, September 12, 2011

Lindy Hop and Living Forward

"Can an old dog really learn new tricks?" That's what I asked myself 6 years ago as I bravely stepped into my first dance lesson at Lindy in the Park in San Francisco. My last experience partner dancing had been square dancing in gym class in high school over 30 years ago. But the happy music and happy dancers and swirling movement were irresistible. I jumped in and never looked back. It's been an amazing journey. I've been exposed to a dance form rich in American history, learned important life lessons and have become part of a community of people who have enriched my life in so many ways.

Along the way I have met other-ahemmm-older-dancers and have come to realize that sometimes we face issues that are somewhat different from those of dancers who come to Lindy Hop a little sooner on their life path. My aim is to support, entertain and introduce some of the terrific young-at-heart people I've come across in the Lindy community. While some of what will be posted here might seem age specific, I think much of what I hope to address will resonate with Lindy Hoppers and dancers of all ages. Free free to chime in with your thoughts and concerns.

3 comments:

  1. Great to have this perspective, Shannon! I never knew you were a "recent" Lindy Hopper- never would have guessed it- you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca, nice work. Looking forward to reading these. Believe me I fully appreciate the pains us more mature dancers have to go through. But it's worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started at 61 and have since tried to forget how old I am, but my body insist on reminding me continuously! :(

    ReplyDelete